Sunday, August 15, 2010

Upcycled #6 Plastic, Pt. 2

So I was working on these some more, kind of refined it a teensy weensy bit. On the last batch, when I coated the finished dangles with Sculpey Gloss Glaze, I was a little overzealous and applied too much, and it pooled and came out a bit messy. A nice thin coat is all you need. If you have Goo-Gone for removing the adhesive left by the store labels on the plastic containers you start with, do use that, it's much easier than rubbing alcohol. You do need alcohol to remove your trace-around-the-stencil line from the edges of your cut-outs, and to correct any mistakes while you're drawing your design. Super-easy, and the kids can have fun with this too. I don't intend to ever make bracelets or necklaces with this stuff, but the earrings are cool, and so will be the Christmas tree ornaments I'm starting on. In my initial post about #6, I said to discard the ridged edges of these plastic boxes. Don't do it! I cut some pieces of it up, and when they shrink they come out totally flat! I just cut up some 1x1.5 inch pieces of the corrugated sides that were left over, punched holes in them, drew randomish red lines on them, and now I have all these little funky peppermint-looking squares to make a tree ornament with. You'll see that soon.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete